Meeting the boys




Just got home yesterday from 6 days in California where I got the meet the boys and set up their school programs for the whole year with Angela and Elizabeth Haughton (who is my new hero).
They boys are wonderful, motivated and very very smart! We ran a bunch of assessments and went through and evaluated a lot of different curricula. I am learning so much about teaching academics and EH is a wealth of knowledge and experience and she is also the nicest lady who took really good care of us!

I'm adjusting to the "Haugton Way" which involves taking LESS data than I'm used to and instead really evaluating when data is helpful for decision making and when it's not needed. We also won't be using our rate finders!!! Instead she has us using a total timer where you punch in corrects and duration and it calculates rate per minute. Sometimes we (ahh!) don't even track errors, and most of the charts don't have floors. She also leans towards repeating materials daily instead of "new daily" materials which has been ingrained in me.



Elizabeth also has the most amazing backyard garden I've ever seen. I also loved being in Northern California, the weather was great and it was a little sad coming home to cold/grey weather.


And so the final 2 week countdown has begun and I am feeling really excited and ready. We worked very hard on getting the boys programs put together and I can't wait to see how it all falls into place.


No comments:

Post a Comment