Giving Lycee

One of the traditions of Chinese New Years is giving these lycee packets to people.  You put money in these envelopes (MUST be an even number amount, a crisp bill and not ending in the number 4- which is bad luck).  You then give these to kids, people who do a service for you and unmarried people.  Also, you're supposed to give them out with 2 hands and you're supposed to carry around extra envelopes with you in case you run into someone you weren't expecting to see, then you are supposed to pretend that you had one for them (and that you were "looking for them").  Lots of rules.  Anyways, I gave some to my 2 favorite doormen and said happy new years in Chinese.  Both of them were very thankful and the one cute old doorman thanked me the next 3 times I saw him!  I'm also sending Adam to the laundry lady tomorrow with a packet ready to go. 

1 comment:

  1. Love that tradition. So many things to think about - not just like getting a Starbucks card.

    ReplyDelete